Multan Fort | ملتان قلعہ
The Multan Fort was a historic fort in the city of Multan. According to some estimates the original fort was built by Katoch Dynasty Rajput between 800 and 1000 B.C. However, it was later destroyed. It was rebuilt by Ranghar chiefs near the city of Multan, on a hillock separated from the city by the Ravi River.
The fort was destroyed by British forces during British colonial rule.The fort was notable for both its effectiveness as a defence installation and for its architecture. Contemporary reports put the walls of the fort at 40 to 70 feet (21 m) high and 6,800 feet (2 km) in circumference. The fort’s 46 bastions included two flanking towers at each of the four gates (the De, Sikki, Hareri and Khizri Gates). A ditch 25 feet (7.6 m) deep and 40 feet (12 m) wide and an 18-foot (5.5 m) glacis protected the fort from intruders.
Within the fort stood a citadel flanked by 30 towers, enclosing mosques, a Hindu temple and a Khan’s palace. The citadel was severely damaged by the battering it got from the guns in 1818.