Bagh Ibn-e-Qasim | باغ ابن قاسم
باغ ابن قاسم
The park encompasses what was previously known as the Rupchand Bilaram Park, which was almost 400 acres (160 ha) in size. In 1964, the park’s size was reduced to 132 acres after the Karachi Municipal Corporation leased out land for development. In 1966, the Karachi Development Authority assumed control of the park, and in 1974, renovated several structures in the park. A sea wall to the east was made at this time, which lead to the coastline retreating further from the southern edge of the park. The Jehangir Kothari Parade, Katrak Bandstand, Lady Lloyd Pier, and the 2 fountains were protected in 1994 by the Sindh Cultural Heritage Preservation Act. In the years afterwards the area fell into gradual decay as successive governments neglected to maintain the site. By 2001, the park was barren and considered a “virtual wasteland.”Katrak Bandstand was built in 1920, and is now at the northern edge of the park
Construction on the new park began on 22 July 2005. The park was ceremonially opened by then President Pervez Musharraf on 27 February 2007 at a cost of PKR 600 million, and renamed after the 8th century Arab conqueror, Muhammad Bin Qasim of the Umayyad empire. The park quickly gained popularity and became a venue for different events. By 2015, the park again began to fall into decay due to lack of maintenance. A large three-level intersection on Shahrah-e-Firdousi, as well as the allegedly illegal seizing of land for the 62-floor Bahria Icon Tower further deteriorated the park’s environment.
In April 2017, the park again was renovated by the Karachi Metropolitan Corporation, and the park was re-opened by Prime Minister Imran Khan on 30 March 2019. In October 2019, the park hosted the opening of the Karachi Biennale.